December 09, 2011
Message from Michelle
The next phase of Canada's Economic Action Plan is investing in the key drivers of economic growth. This includes innovation, investment, education and training. We are committed to supporting job creation by helping businesses and entrepreneurs succeed, keeping taxes low, investing in projects of national importance, and ensuring Canada is the best place to invest. Some priorities in Budget 2011 include:
- Providing a temporary Hiring Credit for Small Business to encourage additional hiring by this vital sector.
- Extending the work-sharing program and the Targeted Initiative for Older Workers to help Canadians in some of the hardest hit areas stay in the workforce.
- Providing renewed funding of almost $100 million over two years for research, development and demonstrations of clean energy and energy efficiency.
- Enhancing the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) for those seniors who rely almost exclusively on their Old Age Security and the GIS and may therefore be at risk of experiencing financial difficulties. This measure will provide a new top-up benefit of up to $600 annually for single seniors and $840 for couples.
- Introducing a Family Caregiver Tax Credit and Children's Arts Tax Credit to support Canadian families.
- Providing nearly $870 million over two years to address climate change and air quality, including the extension of the ecoENERGY Retrofit - Homes program that will help homeowners make their homes more energy efficient and reduce the burden of high energy costs.
In addition to my work in Ottawa I have been busy in our riding of Calgary Centre-North meeting with constituents, businesses, visiting schools, legions and seniors homes. In November I held my first public Town Hall meeting that was well attended by constituents. I look forward to holding similar meetings the future and hearing from more constituents about the issues they care deeply about. Please feel free to contact my office at any time.
Michelle Rempel, MP (Calgary Centre-North)
Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of the Environment